At Journal Club, MAHIP members meet to discuss and explore the current literature in our field. It is an excellent way to keep up with the literature, socialize with colleagues and brainstorm about new trends. For each meeting, a volunteer facilitator is responsible for choosing the article and encouraging discussion. MAHIP’s Journal Club is accredited by the Canadian Health Libraries Association (CHLA/ABSC).
For more information on the Journal Club:
Please help to make journal club a positive educational opportunity by attending and prior to the meeting:
- Read the paper
- Critically appraise the paper using the tool facilitator identified
- Optional: be prepared to identify at least 1 take home point that would be actionable from the paper
2017 – 2018 Journal Club
DATE: Thursday May 31, 2018 | LEADER: Janet Rothney
- LOCATION: In person at Manitoba Libraries Conference, as part of the session Journal Club for Library Workers, presented by Janet Rothney, Grace Romund and Andrea Szwajcer
- TIME: 14h00 – 15h00
- ARTICLE: Schroeder K, Ashton-Hart N, Owen I. IFLA Trend Report 2017 Update.
DATE: Friday April 20, 2018 | LEADER: Angela Osterreicher
- LOCATION: Online session using GoToMeeting
- TIME: 12h00 – 13h00
- ARTICLE: Piwowar H, Priem J, Larivière V, Alperin J, Matthias L, Norlander B, et al. The state of OA: A large-scale analysis of the prevalence and impact of Open Access articles. PeerJ. 2018; 6. DOI 10.7717/peerj.4375
- LOCATION: Neil John Maclean Health Sciences Library, Kerr Boardroom, Room 225
- TIME: 12h00 – 13h00
- ARTICLE: Ganshorn H, Giustini D. New directions in health sciences libraries in Canada: Research and evidence based practice are key. Health Information & Libraries Journal. 2017; 34 (3): 252-257. doi: 10.1111/hir.12190
- COOKIE SWAP: Owing to the success of last year’s cookie swap, we will be holding a Valentine’s Day cookie swap at this journal club. For details visit the journal club page.
- LOCATION: Virtual using GoToWebinar
- ARTICLE: Reed RB, Butkovich NJ. Comparison of data and informatics responsibilities and job titles between academic STEM and Medical librarians. Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship. 2017; Summer. doi: 10.5062/F4V40SFK.
- APPRAISAL TOOL: Stay tuned for more information
- REGISTRATION: Register here to receive a link for the meeting.
If you need help using GoToMeeting you can try a test session.
- COST: Our first journal club meeting is free for all participants. Future meetings will be free for MAHIP members, $5 for non-members.
2016 – 2017 Journal Club
- APPRAISAL TOOL: No appraisal tool for this event, but please come with your ideas to share with the group about the article.
- RSVP: To Grace Romund.
- ARTICLE: Winner of the Medical Library Association’s 2015 Ida and George Eliot’s Prize:
- Effects of librarian-provided services in healthcare settings: a systematic review. J am Med Inform Assoc. 2014; 21 (6): 1118-112.doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2014-002825.
- Note that the appendices for the article are at the very bottom of the PMC page, and that the appendix link on the Oxford/JAMIA’s page is not working.
- APPRAISAL TOOL: As part of the appraisal, we will use the PRESS: Peer Review of Electronic Search Strategies to review the search strategy.
- ARTICLE:Urquhart, C. 2015. Reflections on the value and impact of library and information services. Part 1: Value identification and value creation. Performance Measurement and Metrics, Vol. 16 Iss: 1, pp.86 – 102.
- ARTICLE: Amy E. Blevins, Jennifer DeBerg & Elizabeth Kiscaden (2016) Assessment of Service Desk Quality at an Academic Health Sciences Library. Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 35:3, 285-293, DOI: 10.1080/02763869.2016.1189782
- APPRAISAL TOOL:Glynn Appraisal Tool
2015 – 2016 Journal Club
DATE: March 6, 2016 | LEADER: Grace Romund
- ARTICLE:Archibald MM, Caine V, Ali S, Hartling L, Scott SD. What is left unsaid: an interpretive description of the information needs of parents of children with asthma. Research in Nursing & Health. 2015; 38 (1): 19-28.
- APPRAISAL TOOL:Glynn Appraisal Tool
DATE: February 5, 2016 | LEADER: Orvie Dingwall
- MAHIP’s first virtual journal club utilized the teleconferencing software VSee. You can download the software at VSee’s website
- ARTICLE:Elliott JH, turner T, Clabisi O, Thomas J, Higgins JPT, Mavergames C, Gruen RL. Living systematic reviews: an emerging opportunity to narrow the evidence-practice gap. PLOS Medicine. 2014. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001603
DATE: October 20, 2015 | LEADER: Mê-Linh Lê
- ARTICLE:Saleh, A., Ratajeski, M., Bertolet, M. Grey literature searching for health sciences systematic reviews: a prospective study of time spent and resources utilized. Evidence Based Library and Information Practice. 2014; 9 (3): 28-50.
2014 – 2015 Journal Club
DATE: November 14, 2014 | LEADER: Judy Inglis
Cook, D. A., Sorensen, K. J., Wilkinson, J. M., Berger, R. A. (2013). Barriers and decisions when answering clinical questions at the point of care: A grounded theory study. JAMA Internal Medicine, 173(21), 1962-1969. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.10103.
DATE: June 6, 2014 | LEADER: Laura Hochheim
- SUPPORTING ARTICLE:
Greyson D, Surette S, Dennett L, Chatterley T. “You’re just one of the group when you’re embedded”: Report from a mixed-method investigation of the research-embedded health librarian experience. JMLA. 2013; 101(4): 287-297. doi:10.3163/1536-5050.101.4.010; 10.3163/1536-5050.101.4.010
2013 – 2014 Journal Club
DATE: January 9, 2014 | LEADER: Caroline Monnin
- Giuse NB, Kusnoor SV, Koonce TY, Ryland CR, Walden RR, Naylor HM, et al. Strategically aligning a mandala of competencies to advance a transformative vision. J Med Libr Assoc. 2013 Oct;101(4):261-7.
DATE: October 29, 2013 | LEADER: Andrea Szwajcer
- Marshall JG, Sollenberger J, Easterby-Gannett S, Morgan LK, Klem ML, Cavanaugh SK, et al. The value of library and information services in patient care: Results of a multisite study. J Med Libr Assoc. 2013 Jan;101(1):38-46.
2012 – 2013 Journal Club
DATE: April 3, 2013 |LEADER: Melissa Raynard
- Lorenzetti, DL and Rutherford, G. Information professionals’ participation in interdisciplinary research: a preliminary study of factors affecting successful collaborations. Health information and libraries journal. 2012; 29(4):274-284.
DATE: Feb 1, 2013 | LEADER: Kerry Macdonald
- Sampson M, McGowan J, Cogo E, Grimshaw J, Moher D, Lefebvre C. An evidence-based practice guideline for the peer review of electronic search strategies. J Clin Epidemiol. 2009 Sep;62(9):944-52. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2008.10.012. PMID: 19230612.
DATE: December 7, 2012 | LEADER: Christine Shaw-Daigle
- Powelson SE, Reaume RD. Using the results of a satisfaction survey to demonstrate the impact of a new library service model. Health Info Libr J. 2012 Sep;29(3):223-32. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-1842.2012.00988.x. Epub 2012 Apr 23.